Law Offices of Sweta Khandelwal
Let Us Help Solve Your Issue: 408-604-0774
Email Us

How can I hire immigrants for my open job positions?

There are many reasons immigrants choose to come to the United States. One of those reasons is for better employment opportunities. As an employer, you know the value of a strong workforce in your company, regardless of an employee's country of origin.

Immigrants often need a new employer's help applying for a visa. To properly and efficiently assist your future employees, it is important to understand how employment visas work.




The two most common visas employees would apply for are EB-2s and EB-3s. Below are the main differences between each visa.


The EB-2 preference category is for persons with "exceptional ability" and whose jobs require a more advanced education. Applicants must already have the degree needed for the position or its equivalent, and evidence of said degree.

Those without a degree but who have an "exceptional ability" must be able to show evidence of said ability, which means meeting at least three of the necessary criteria. They include:

  • Letters documenting at least 10 years of full-time experience in an occupation
  • A license or certification to practice an occupation
  • Evidence of earning a salary for services that demonstrate the ability
  • Membership in a professional association
  • Recognition for achievements or other significant contributions to an industry or field


The EB-3 preference category is for workers who are professionals, skilled workers and unskilled workers. These potential employees do not need to prove they have an advanced degree, but they do have other requirements:

  • Professionals: These applicants should have a U.S. degree or foreign degree equivalent
  • Skilled workers: These applicants must be able to prove they have at least two years of job experience or training
  • Unskilled workers: These applicants must be capable of performing unskilled labor, which requires fewer than two years of experience or training, that is not a temporary or seasonal position

All EB-3 applicants must have a labor certification; a permanent, full-time job offer; and be performing work for which qualified workers are not readily available in the U.S.


Both EB-2 and EB-3 visas typically require you to obtain the approval of a PERM application from the U.S. Department of Labor before you can sponsor a potential employee for lawful permanent residence. Both applications also experience a large backlog for applicants from China and India, as these countries have large populations and a high demand for EB visas.


However, with the right paperwork and an understanding of what your potential employee needs to provide for an application to be successful, hiring a strong workforce from outside the U.S. can be incredibly rewarding. 



No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Rated By Super Lawyers
  • 2014 Top 40 Lawyer under 40 | ASLA
  • Avvo Rating 10.0 superb immigration
  • Avvo client's choice 2014 | Immigration
  • People Love us on yelp
  • American Immigration Lawyers Association | AILA
  • The state Bar of California
Email Us For A Response

Our team is here to help with
your immigration matters

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information
I would like to discuss an immigration matter regarding:

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location:

San Jose Office
95 S Market Street
Suite 410
San Jose, CA 95113

Phone: 408-604-0774
Fax: 408-624-4527
Map & Directions

San Francisco Office
404 Bryant Street
San Francisco, CA 94107

Phone: 408-604-0774
Fax: 408-624-4527
Map & Directions

Map Map