Law Offices of Sweta Khandelwal
Let Us Help Solve Your Issue: 408-604-0774
Email Us

What's the Visa Process If I Want to Study Abroad in the U.S?

art-student-15-1537721-1.jpgIf you're a student outside of this country, you might be interested in studying abroad in the United States. The U.S. can give a wide variety of opportunities for students, and so acquiring a temporary visa for these reasons is a viable option. There's one main option for visas if you're interested in studying in the U.S., and it's important to know how it will work best for you and your situation.

F-1 Student Visas:

An F-1 visa allows foreign citizens to receive academic study at a school that is approved by the Attorney General for foreign students. F-1 students must maintain the minimum course load for a full-time student status, and they are expected to finish their studies by the expiration date listed on their I-20 form that the U.S. college or university provided. To qualify for this visa, applicants have to prove a few strict criteria during their F1 visa interviews. You must prove you have a foreign residence that you plan to return to, a sponsoring academic institution that granted your visa, sufficient financial support, and familial and financial ties to your home country.

If you are interested in studying at a specific university, make sure that you check their admission policies, because every university has their own requirements. Once you have been able to prove that you are academically and financially eligible, the university will give you an I-20 form to fill out in conjunction with your application. For your application, you will need to provide an application fee (non-refundable), a DS-160 form, a DS-157 form for males, a valid passport, and photos of your current appearance.

The application and interview process for students who want to study abroad in America is not an easy process; it requires your preparedness and patience. Our team at the Law Offices of Sweta Khandelwal can help you through this student visa process, and help you collect all the documents and information you'll need. Contact us today to get started.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Rated By Super Lawyers
  • 2014 Top 40 Lawyer under 40 | ASLA
  • Avvo Rating 10.0 superb immigration
  • Avvo client's choice 2014 | Immigration
  • People Love us on yelp
  • American Immigration Lawyers Association | AILA
  • The state Bar of California
Email Us For A Response

Our team is here to help with
your immigration matters

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information
I would like to discuss an immigration matter regarding:

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location:

San Jose Office
95 S Market Street
Suite 410
San Jose, CA 95113

Phone: 408-604-0774
Fax: 408-624-4527
Map & Directions

San Francisco Office
404 Bryant Street
San Francisco, CA 94107

Phone: 408-604-0774
Fax: 408-624-4527
Map & Directions

Map Map