Law Offices of Sweta Khandelwal
Let Us Help Solve Your Issue: 408-604-0774
Email Us

Obtaining a Fiancee Visa


Online dating is big business. It has become more common and socially acceptable to meet someone online and fall in love. What happens when this happens with somebody who lives in another country? First, it is a good idea to get to know each other better. You should also meet the person before making plans to marry them. After you meet them you may reach the point of wanting to spend the rest of your life together. If this happens and you decide you want to live together here in the United States there are a few legal issues that arise. Your partner will need to be legally authorized to enter the United States. This can become a reality by obtaining a Fiancee Visa.

You may have heard several stories about “mail order brides” or people getting married just to become US citizens. Although  some of these stories may be true, they not representative of all international marriages. If you have plans to marry someone who currently lives in another country and want that person to eventually become a United States citizen, you will need to go through the steps required to obtain a Fiancee Visa so he or she will be able to legally enter and live in this country. To avoid legal difficulties and to make sure the process is completed correctly, work with a knowledgeable and experienced immigration attorney.

Coming to America to Marry

Once a person enters the US with a Fiancee Visa (K-1 visa), he or she is required to marry his or her visa sponsor within 90 days. After the marriage occurs, the spouse who is here on the Fiancee visa will be granted a two-year conditional green card. After the two years has elapsed, if the marriage is still stable, he or she will be eligible for a 10-year green card. At this point, the non-citizen spouse may begin the process of becoming a United States citizen.

If you plan on bringing your partner to the United States to get married, you should familiarize yourself with the process of obtaining a Fiancee visa. To help determine what you need to do to make this happen, speak with an experienced immigration lawyer. This will minimize your legal difficulties with the process.

The Law Offices of Sweta Khandelwal has over 10 yearsâ€TM experience with immigration law and is located in the heart of Silicon Valley. Attorney Sweta Khandelwal will be able to answer any questions you may have so you can make an informed decision regarding a Fiancee visa.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Rated By Super Lawyers
  • 2014 Top 40 Lawyer under 40 | ASLA
  • Avvo Rating 10.0 superb immigration
  • Avvo client's choice 2014 | Immigration
  • People Love us on yelp
  • American Immigration Lawyers Association | AILA
  • The state Bar of California
Email Us For A Response

Our team is here to help with
your immigration matters

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information
I would like to discuss an immigration matter regarding:

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location:

San Jose Office
95 S Market Street
Suite 410
San Jose, CA 95113

Phone: 408-604-0774
Fax: 408-624-4527
Map & Directions

San Francisco Office
404 Bryant Street
San Francisco, CA 94107

Phone: 408-604-0774
Fax: 408-624-4527
Map & Directions

Map Map