Law Offices of Sweta Khandelwal
Let Us Help Solve Your Issue: 408-604-0774
Email Us

Extraordinary and Outstanding Immigrants - the EB-1 Visa

Although the Employment Based ("EB") categories may change with the new CIR bill introduced just several weeks ago, there is no guarantee that the EB changes or the bill in its entirety will pass. Therefore, it's necessary to still consider the immigration options as they are. The EB-1 visa is a popular method for highly skilled and educated noncitizens to obtain their green cards, but it may be quite the process for those not in the know.

The EB-1 visa can be split up into three categories: EB-1A is for Aliens of Extraordinary Ability, EB-1B is for Outstanding Researcher or Professors, and EB-1C Managers and Executive Transferees. Under any of these categories, the noncitizen will most likely experience the quickest processing times and avoid the Labor Certification process.

EB-1A - Aliens of Extraordinary Ability

Noncitizens seeking the EB-1A visa must have an extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics with sustained national or international acclaim. The noncitizen must start or continue work in an area that will also substantially and prospectively benefit the U.S. national interest. To prove this, the noncitizen must satisfy at least three of the ten criteria as listed below:

  1. Evidence of receipt of lesser nationally or internationally recognized prizes or awards for excellence
  2. Evidence of your membership in associations in the field which demand outstanding achievement of their members
  3. Evidence of published material about you in professional or major trade publications or other major media
  4. Evidence that you have been asked to judge the work of others, either individually or on a panel
  5. Evidence of your original scientific, scholarly, artistic, athletic, or business-related contributions of major significance to the field
  6. Evidence of your authorship of scholarly articles in professional or major trade publications or other major media
  7. Evidence that your work has been displayed at artistic exhibitions or showcases
  8. Evidence of your performance of a leading or critical role in distinguished organizations
  9. Evidence that you command a high salary or other significantly high remuneration in relation to others in the field
  10. Evidence of your commercial successes in the performing arts


The benefit of the EB-1A visa is that no permanent position is required; a permanent position is required for EB-1B and EB-1C visas.

EB-1B - Outstanding Researcher or Professor

The EB-1B visa requires international recognition for achievements in a particular academic field. The noncitizen must have at least 3 years of experience in teaching or research in that academic area. The position required must be a permanent, tenure or tenure track teaching or comparable research position at a university or other institution of higher education. To prove this, at least two of the listed documents are required:

  1. Evidence of receipt of major prizes or awards for outstanding achievement
  2. Evidence of membership in associations that require their members to demonstrate outstanding achievement
  3. Evidence of published material in professional publications written by others about the alien's work in the academic field
  4. Evidence of participation, either on a panel or individually, as a judge of the work of others in the same or allied academic field
  5. Evidence of original scientific or scholarly research contributions in the field
  6. Evidence of authorship of scholarly books or articles (in scholarly journals with international circulation) in the field

The strategic benefit of the EB-1B option is that the noncitizen's particular accomplishments are the focus rather than the field of study thus allowing for more flexibility.

EB-1C - Multinational Manager or Executive

The EB-1C visa is meant for high level executives whose expertise is needed here in a United States branch or office of the same company. Specifically, the noncitizen must be employed for at least one of the three years before the petition and must be entering to continue employment in that same firm or organization. The employment in the United States must be in a managerial or executive capacity and with the same employer, affiliate, or subsidiary of the employer.

For the employer, it must be a U.S. employer who has been doing business for at least one year as an affiliate, subsidiary, or as the same corporation or other legal entity that employed the noncitizen abroad.

If one of these categories works for you, contact our office to schedule an appointment to explore any of these or other immigration options.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Rated By Super Lawyers
  • 2014 Top 40 Lawyer under 40 | ASLA
  • Avvo Rating 10.0 superb immigration
  • Avvo client's choice 2014 | Immigration
  • People Love us on yelp
  • American Immigration Lawyers Association | AILA
  • The state Bar of California
Email Us For A Response

Our team is here to help with
your immigration matters

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information
I would like to discuss an immigration matter regarding:

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location:

San Jose Office
95 S Market Street
Suite 410
San Jose, CA 95113

Phone: 408-604-0774
Fax: 408-624-4527
Map & Directions

San Francisco Office
404 Bryant Street
San Francisco, CA 94107

Phone: 408-604-0774
Fax: 408-624-4527
Map & Directions

Map Map