E Visas

The E -1/E-2 visa category can be used by business owners and employees whose home country has entered into a trade or investment treaty with the U.S. To qualify for the E visa category:

  • the business in the U.S. must be at least 50% owned by citizens of the treaty country;
  • the foreign national must be an owner, or an essential employee holding the same nationality as the company owners; and
  • the business must either be carrying on trade with the U.S. (E-1 category), or must be making an investment in the U.S. (E-2 category).


For a list of countries with which US has a treaty conferring E-1/E-2 status, click here.

E-1/E-2 visas can be granted for an initial period of two years, and can be extended almost indefinitely. Spouses of these visa holders can obtain work authorization to work for any employer in the US.

The E-2 Visa is an attractive option for those who wish to invest in a business in the US, but are not looking to become permanent residents of the US. To learn more about other visa options for entrepreneurs and investors, click here.

If you are a foreign national from one of the countries with which US has a treaty, and wish to invest in the US, contact us to see how we can help. Principal Attorney Sweta Khandelwal is a Chartered Accountant (similar to a CPA). Her understanding of financial statements, business plans and operations, and cash flow statements is invaluable in assisting clients to obtain E-2 visas.

Our team is standing by to assist you in your immigration journey.
To learn more about who we are and how can we help, click the button below!

Check our Practice Areas