J-1 visas

More useful resources on the J-1 Visa can be found here.
A J-1 visa may be an alternative when other work visas like the H-1B visa are not available. For more alternatives to the H-1B visa, watch this video.

The Exchange Visitor (J) non-immigrant visa category is for individuals approved to participate in work-and study-based exchange visitor programs. All exchange visitors are expected to return to their home country upon completion of their program. This means that a J-1 visa holder is not expected to have intent to immigrate to the US. The wait time for an interview and processing for a J-1 Visa varies from country to country and is based on your individual circumstances.

A significant issue to consider when applying for a J-1 visa is whether the foreign national is subject to the “home-country” requirement. Certain exchange visitors are subject to a two-year home-country physical presence requirement which requires the foreign national to return to his/her home country for at least two years at the end of the exchange visitor program. If you are unable to return to your home country to fulfill the two-year requirement, you must obtain a waiver approved by the Department of Homeland Security prior to applying for a Green Card/Adjustment of Status or any visa that permits the visa holder to have an immigrant intent-like H-1B, L. It is important to remember that not all exchange visitors are subject to the home country requirement.

Many medical residents/interns (links to the review page with Ritu’s review) for whom the H-1B visa does not work consider a J-1 visa at some point. Before you decide on a J-1 exchange program consider alternative options like the O Visa. Contact us for more information/advice to evaluate your options, or to apply for a waiver, or to determine if you are subject to the home-country requirement.

Our team is standing by to assist you in your immigration journey.
To learn more about who we are and how can we help, click the button below!

Check our Practice Areas